A family of four

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Swing Brandon Swing....


















Yesterday we took off of work to try to make our nephew's baseball game 1.5 hours away. I quickly learned that good intentions does not guarantee good planning.

We got a late start due to Uncle D and a last minute bathroom stop for CBW. This meant hitting traffic in the Cities. It rained our entire drive and it was then I realized I had not dressed my family appropriately.


We reached the field only ten minutes late but spent another ten trying to figure out how to drive to the field. Once we realized that wasn't going to happen we trucked over the hills and across the fields (okay, it wasn't that bad expect I foolishly was still in my pumps=) to reach Brandon's game.

We quickly soaked through the jacket I brought to sit on (all other families had blankets) so we stood and chased CAW who was very intent on finding Brandon. After an hour and 15 minutes of cold weather, drizzle and three trips to the port-a-potty we called it good. I was carrying a gift bag for Brandon which Uncle D promptly told me was 'totally uncool' for a 9th grade boy. It contained candy I thought he could share with his teammates. I guess I have a lot to learn. I ended up leaving it with the bus driver as to not embarrass Brandon. It was funny because Brandon called last night that there are three Brandon's on his team (of maybe 15 boys). Who knew? It was still great to see him. They are looked so 'old' and 'big' for 9th graders.

We stopped to say hello to my aunt and cousins and dry off a bit. We happily got in the car at 7 p.m. so we could be rolling into our driveway by 8:30 and to bed by 9:00.
Warning......Only a parent can appreciate the following story:

The drive took longer due to the rain and another gas stop. We pulled in the driveway at 8:45 and I'm thinking 'not too bad' while knowing I have a couple hours of homework (my final paper and presentation are due today). The last ten minutes have involved CAW screaming due to CBW and CAW trying to touch each other with their wet feet and CAW trying to loosen his car seat straps. Uncle D, CBW, and I are tired of it so we turn on the radio and sing which only angers him more. Needless to say, the kids have totally broken down and maybe the parents too=)

The garage door slowly lifts and Uncle D and I took at each other. Our Civic is missing. Uncle D thinks it has been stolen. In fact, it is still in town (10 minutes away). We want to cry and quickly start brainstorming some way to get the kids out of the car and someone else go get the car. We realize that isn't going to happen so we add another 20 minutes to this painful trip home to go get our car. I can't believe we both forgot. Actually, I can't believe I forgot.

Alas, we were home, dry, and had the kids to bed by 9:15=)
Brandon's Team Won!
Uncle D and I kept laughing (which is a huge factor to our marriage!)
This is a good one for the record. I'll tell Brandon the story when he is a father.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger pdxkatie said…

    We do the same thing with our cars on the way to the beach - leave THDC's at work and take the Volvo - and then forget we left his car three days later when we get home - full of sand and tired from running around on the beach. It's just the worst when you have to face the drive again.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger AndiR said…

    Oh man...this has so happened to our family, and more lately than ever. Yes, laughter is the best medicine when it's just all too ridiculous.
    Good luck with your class today!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home